What are the four steps to cooking rice?
How to Make Perfect White Rice in 4 Steps
- Step 1: Boil Water. Stephanie Shore Fisher. Get started by boiling 2 cups of water in a covered pot. …
- Step 2: Let Simmer. Stephanie Shore Fisher. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 18-20 minutes. …
- Step 3: Let Sit. Stephanie Shore Fisher. …
- Step 4: Fluff and Finish. Stephanie Shore Fisher.
How do you boil white rice?
How to Parboil Rice for Cooking Plain White Rice
- Bring water to a boil in a pot; the water quantity should be about 2 times the level of rice.
- Wash the rice in cold water (optional), and place in the pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Rinse/wash the rice about 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
Is 1 cup of rice a cup of water?
What is the Ratio of Water to Rice? The basic water to white rice ratio is 2 cups water to 1 cup rice. You can easily, double and even triple the recipe; just make sure you are using a pot large enough to hold the rice as it cooks and expands.
How long should you boil rice?
- Add rice and water to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. …
- Simmer until water is completely absorbed and rice is tender – about 15-25 minutes (will depend on size and freshness of rice).
How much water do I use for 2 cups of rice?
The Perfect Rice To Water Ratio. The water to rice ratio you should use will vary depending on various factors. However, if in doubt, a good rule of thumb when cooking rice on the stove is one and a half cups of water per cup of rice. This means that for two cups of rice, you would use three cups of water.
What is the fastest way to cook rice?
Here’s how to boil rice fast:
- Boil water. Bring a large pot of water to a full, rolling boil. …
- Add rice. Stir and continue to boil until the rice is tender and chewy—about 20 to 25 minutes for brown rice, or 10 to 20 minutes for white rice, depending on the variety. …
- Drain. Drain the rice in a fine-mesh strainer, and enjoy.
How much rice do you need per person?
For reference, the per person average serving size of cooked rice as part of a main dish is one cup of cooked rice, and 1/2 cup of cooked rice if used as a side dish. So for the average meal, you would need one third cup of raw, uncooked rice per person. Rice is always a good option for a meal.
Do you put rice in hot or cold water?
Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water until the water is clear. If you have time, soak the rice in cold water for at least 30 minutes. This will help the grains cook more evenly. Pour the rice into a pan over a low heat, then add the butter or oil, if using, and stir to coat the rice grains.
How can I make boiled rice more interesting?
One of my favorite ways to add flavor to rice is by either using a cooking liquid other than water (bouillon or broth is an easy alternative), or by stirring in some fresh herbs, dried fruit, peas, nuts, or other flavor and color boosters.