What can I use if I don’t have a turkey pan?
You can fashion a makeshift one out of aluminum foil! You can also simply rest the turkey on a bed of potatoes and onions, like we do when roasting chickens.
- Cast Iron Skillet. Really, is there anything a cast iron skillet can’t do? …
- Stainless Steel Skillet. …
- Large Casserole Dish. …
- Broiler Pan. …
- Paella Pan.
What can I use instead of a roasting pan?
What Can You Use Instead of a Roasting Pan?
- Use a high-sided casserole dish fitted with a rack and get a similar effect.
- A large skillet.
- A rimmed baking sheet.
- And if it’s a large, heavy piece of meat you’re roasting, do not use those disposable “roasting” pans. They are too lightweight and do not conduct heat properly.
Can you roast turkey breast without roasting pan?
Place the turkey breasts, skin side down, into an oven-safe, nonstick skillet in the oven and roast for 30 minutes to get a head start on browning the skin. … No need to invest in a pricey roasting pan: a simple rack will create the necessary airflow circulation needed to roast your turkey from all sides.
Can you bake a turkey without a rack?
The point of using a rack is to let the heat of the oven circulate around the turkey. You don’t need a specially designed rack for your roasting pan, but you need something to lift the bird above the bottom of the pan. Balls of aluminum foil work perfectly well; you can also use upside-down ramekins.
Can I use a glass pan instead of roasting pan?
Glass pans aren’t recommended when you want to broil foods because they may shatter. … So if you are roasting a meat and want to make a pan gravy on the stove after, stick to a metal roasting pan, not a glass pan, or else you will have to transfer everything to a pot first before making your sauce.
Do you need roasting pan for chicken?
You’ll need a pan in which to roast the chicken. A roasting pan with a rack is nice, particularly one with upright handles, which is easy to move around in the oven. But a rimmed sheet pan or oven-proof skillet (like cast-iron) works just as well. … They also come in handy if you want to spatchcock the chicken.
Also, if the turkey is resting on the bottom of the roasting pan, the skin there will be flabby and moist. If the skin of your turkey turns out flabby, which can happen when roasting at 325 degrees or less, the situation can be saved: make turkey cracklings while the bird rests.
What pan do I use to cook a turkey?
In general, when cooking turkeys:
- A small (14-inch) roasting pan works for birds up to 12 pounds.
- A medium (16-inch) roasting pan is ideal for birds up to 16 pounds.
- A large (18-inch) roasting pan can fit turkeys up to 20 pounds.